Monday, May 13, 2013

Subtlety is Not Her Strong Point

I'm an atheist. I don't believe in a higher power or of life after death.

What I DO believe in is the inherent good in people. I believe that you get back what you put out - and my goal in life is to make my little corner of this world a little better than when I left it. I believe in kindness, wit, intelligence and that I have the cutest baby in the world. I try very hard to be a good person. Which is enough for most people in my life - except my mother in law. Christine.

Christine has said that she doesn't care that we aren't Catholic (even though that would be the best), but she does think that we need to go to church. Any church. There are lots of prayers thrown in my direction.

I would like to say that I am not one of those angry atheists who hates religion. I don't - I understand the place that faith can have in peoples lives. I understand that it gives direction, helps with the fear of death and the unknown, and helps those who are going through difficult times have something to hold on to. I would never, EVER begrudge the right of anyone to believe what they want. I just ask that the same respect is shown to me.

Anyway - apparently all the "subtle" hints - you know like flat out saying she thinks we need to go to church more - aren't working (duh!). So she has decided to ramp up her attempts.

This was the gift I received for Mother's Day:


Fan-fucking-tas-tic. 

While I don't have an issue with someone being a person of religion - I do have a take serious umbrage with it being shoved down my throat. Here are some of my favorite passages from this little treat...

"I stared at my newborn son, dear God, and watched him eagerly nursing. I delighted in that tiny bundle of love, and it brought great joy to see him grow - to know I'd had a part in that miracle. Father, let me desire Your Word just as my son delighted in that milk. Let it nourish and sustain me and bring continued growth."

Um - Ew. I don't know why that parallel had to be drawn - because I'm pretty sure those two ideas have nothing to do with each other. Thinking of a grown woman sucking on a big of teat of God doesn't make me want to run out there and join on in. I do understand the delighting in knowledge thing, I love books and all that, but I am not sure what nursing has to do with it. Ew. 

"Showing hospitality is a part of Your perfect will, but it isn't easy. It's not that I don't want people here. It's just that sometimes I fall behind in my domestic duties, and I'd be embarrassed for anyone to come. Please give me the organizational skills I need to care for my family, clean up after them, and still have a home I am willing to share with others."

First - the feminist me gets all "Oh, hellz no" when we act like its a woman's duty to be the housemaid. I am a stay-at-home-mom - so it's really my job -so I should probably just breeze right on past that. Consider it breezed. What I find is really funny is that the answer isn't just "Get off your ass and do the dishes." It's PRAY and then god will MAKE you get off your ass and do the dishes. So he just a middle man? And whatever happened to free will? 

Plus, sometimes I just don't want people over to my house. It's that simple. 

"I try doctors and medication. I try whatever this article or that relative suggests, but real healing comes only when I turn my condition over to You. You just want me to pray. When I pray for my child who is out late, I don't worry. When I pray that my family will escape the virus, I dole out the best immunity. When I release my problems to You, You answer prayers."

This one actually really pisses me off. So - what - a woman who doesn't believe on god who has something terrible happen to her kid could have prevented it if she prayed? Or what if she is devout and prays and prays and prays and the kid doesn't make it anyway? Did she not pray hard enough. It places the guilt on the people instead of whatever is actually going on. Kid sick? - hate the disease. Teen out late? - get the teen in trouble. I hate that in religion - every thing good that happens is given to god - but all the bad things are us.

"Are my affections improper, dear Jesus? Am I too committed to the things of this world - my job, my children, my hobbies? Oh, I know these things have their proper place, but they should come after my love for You. Please make them clear to me and help me to eliminate them, for I want Your love in me."

Did I read that right? Eliminate the children? 

Alright - one more - 

"We've been praying hard for one of our friends to receive You, Lord. We share the Gospel with her, and week after week the children invite her to church. She's just so afraid of what she'll have to give up if she accepts You. Oh Lord, help her to see what she will gain if she does allow You to live within her. Open her eyes so that she'll understand that living with You truly is life."

If I had :"friends" who were always shoving the gospel down my throat and had their children badger me about church week after week - we would not be friends anymore. 

Did you hear that Christine? 

Back off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment