Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Blasphemy!!

I am thinking about doing the unthinkable.

I want an e-reader. 

I am a HUGE fan of books. I love everything about them. I love the way they feel in my hands, I love turning pages, and love all the text in the neat lines. I own hundreds, and I am acquiring more hardbacks all the time. My goal in my forever-home is to have a library, with floor to ceiling bookshelves, and an rolling ladder. I love losing myself in a story, and I am so amazed at the authors who have the ability to write a BOOK. A book. A whole book. I wish I could do that. I wish I could make a story from start to finish. I want to make people care about something, and I want to build worlds with words. The problem is, I just don't seem to be able to flush out an idea enough to make an entire book. I can barely get a blog post together. 

I don't think any of that will change. There are a few problems with books. (Just so you know, that sentence hurt to write.) Really one big one, they are expensive. And I am sad to say that I own a fair few that I have not read, nor do I have any desire to. I also have a few that I have started, and not enjoyed. While they look pretty sitting on my shelf, I wish that I could own others, that I do love. There are some of my books, like the Harry Potter series, that I have read to the point that they are becoming destroyed. Seven, beautiful hardback books, with broken binding and pages falling out, food smudges, dog-eared pages, and water-damage. This breaks my heart. I fully intend on purchasing a set of the books that are NOT for reading...and just continue to read my poor, beaten up set. 

An e-reader would help with some of this. I wouldn't hurt my books. And downloading books are much cheaper than purchasing them. I could read a book, and then if I love it, wait to find a decently priced hardcover for my collection. I also read so fast, that when we travel, I need to carry multiple books. That would be easy-peasy with the e-reader. I could carry almost 1,000 in my purse. 

I am not a patient person, AT ALL. Now that I have decided I want one, I spent nap time researching the different options. I want a Nook Glowlight. TJ and I agreed to wait until closer to Christmas, the plan is of it to be Christmas present for me, and I am sure they will go on sale when we get closer. But my nature is that when I want it I want it NOW. TJ is on a business trip, and Pants has a fever and is sleeping a lot, so I want a Nook, NOW. Ugh. I even have a cute faux-leather purple case for it picked out. We have a wedding in Colorado in two weeks, and I would LOVE having a Nook for the 8 hour trip up and back. And for when Pants wants to go to bed early and I am alone in the hotel room trying to not wake him up. 

How much trouble do you think I would get in if I just ordered it? Or just went to our B&N and got it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment